Takac: No New Foot-and-mouth Outbreak Confirmed in Slovakia So Far
včera 14:22
Bratislava, April 2 (TASR) - No new outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease has been discovered in Slovakia yet in addition to the five that have been confirmed so far, said Agriculture Minister Richard Takac (Smer-SD) following the Cabinet session on Wednesday.
According to Takac, cattle culling at four farms in the district of Dunajska Streda was completed on Tuesday (April 1). "Cattle culling equipment was transferred from the district of Dunajska Streda to the site of the most recent confirmed outbreak in Plavecky Stvrtok (Bratislava region) this morning. As far as I know, cattle are currently being slaughtered there," he said.
Takac said that the carcasses are being disposed of at a rendering facility in Zilina, and a location is being selected for burying the slaughtered animals.
The minister said that state should start compensating small breeders from the district of Dunajska Streda "now, by the end of the week, probably this Saturday". "Municipal offices in respective villages and small farmers have already arranged some meetings, this will be presented to me at the ministry today," he said.
The agriculture minister once again called for compliance with the measures ordered by the State Veterinary and Food Administration. "This is the only way that can protect us from the further spread of the infection," he said.
ko/df